Ruby on Rails Developer, onsite or remote within the UK
char.gy is an electric vehicle charging service. We design and manufacture the hardware, and write the software that communicates with the charge points and that the customers use to charge their car. It's a very rapidly growing industry that bridges transport, green energy, and the Internet of Things (the charge points have computers and modems).
char.gy has come from humble beginnings in June 2016 - from a prototype in a cardboard box; to a metal box; to a 3D printed metal enclosure; to a sand-cast enclosure; to a die-cast aluminium enclosure tested by UL laboratories to ISO 61851. We were the first lamppost mounted public charge point in the UK. A large proportion of the cost of installing a charge point is digging up the road and laying cables. Reusing the existing power supply in lampposts dramatically reduces costs. If the trend in electric vehicle uptake continues, quite soon, we're going to need a lot more charge points.
If you'd like to hear more about our product, see what we offer our customers.
We are hiring a permanent developer to work either remotely in the UK, or on-site near Aldgate East in London.
Remote working saves on commuting and gives us a calm space to work, but sometimes face to face meetings are needed. You should expect to travel into the office near Aldgate East at least twice a month.
We are a small team so it's still possible to be heard and make a difference. You would be our third full time developer.
We do standups, planning and retros, use Github, Slack, CircleCI, Rails, AWS, Terraform, Ansible, and do TDD by default. We have a strong code review culture, pair when it's useful rather than by default, dress casually, and have flexible working hours.
Benefits include 25 days holiday, 10 "innovation days" to explore your own ideas, maternity and shared parental leave, a conference budget, and an Apple laptop. See below for other benefits.
And most of all, an opportunity to make a meaningful improvement to our environment!
We are hiring to help us:
- Improve the customer's charging experience
- Automate the process of configuration, testing at manufacture and installation
- Make the IoT monitoring more comprehensive and reliable
- Expand the customer portal for better usage statistics
- And grow!
Partnership with Unboxed
char.gy is a startup that collaborates closely with Unboxed. Unboxed is a 13 year old software and design house, so management is experienced and technical. The companies are co-located in the same office on Commercial Street, E1 6LT. Read more about how Unboxed and char.gy work together.
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails experience
- Experience of version control (ideally Git)
- TDD/BDD experience
- SQL (preferably MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams to plan and ship projects
- Ability to identify areas of risk and complexity during the planning process
- Continual communication with your team on progress of stories
- Can turn wireframes and designs into functional applications
- Writing and maintaining integration and unit test suites
- HTML and CSS experience
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience setting up and maintaining UNIX systems
- Understanding of continuous integration and delivery
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance
- 10 "Innovation Days" per year to explore your own ideas
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus benefits
- Maternity and Shared Parental Leave policies
- An Apple laptop
- A company-wide peer-to-peer mentoring programme
- A generous conference budget
- Salary reviews twice a year
- Flexible working hours and location
- An informal culture of growth
- Monthly "Linkers and Thinkers" idea-exploring lunches
- Weekly reflection at "Whines & Cheers", our Friday company retrospective
- A 'Bike To Work' scheme